STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS🍄🍄
This is an absolutely wonderful side dish and has yumm flavors! It is so easy to make too. My family likes the mushrooms and the meaty texture and there are so many ways to cook them. I especially enjoy creating the stuffed version- it just looks so pretty and is handy- a cap stuffed with a glorious mixture. There are myriad options to fill the cavity, today I made the herbal mix with cheese. Most of my herbs needed a trim and I centered this recipe around using the herbs.
4 portobello mushrooms, washed and stems and gills removed
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped spinach
1 cup crumbled feta
1/2 cup chopped oregano
1/2 cup chopped thyme
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup green olives
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
4 tbsp. melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 400° F and grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place mushrooms, stem side down on pan and brush with oil.
2. Bake for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften. Soak up any excess water on pan with a towel.
3. In a large bowl, combine feta, herbs, butter, tomatoes, garlic, olives, sunflower seeds and breadcrumbs. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
4. Flip mushroom caps over and stuff with the feta herbed mixture. Top with more feta and Parmesan- just a drizzle.
5. Bake until tops are golden and look cooked, 15 minutes
6. That’s it! Easy peasy and this makes an awesome healthy appetizer or a side dish:)