SHAAM SAVERA (paneer-spinach balls) in tomato gravy [swipe⬅️ for steps pics]Shaam savera translates to Dusk-Dawn signifying the dark and light colors in this curry. This is a very popular North Indian vegetarian kofta dish, created by Sanjeev kapoor, the legend Indian Chef, and has combined flavors from Paneer Tikka masala and Palak paneer. This is also my must order curry at the SanjeevKapoor ‘s restaurant in Bay Area.
My recipe is adapted from the Chef’s page and I bake kofta instead of frying them and the resulting curry is equally flavorful.
1 pound baby Spinach leaves
3/4 cup grated Paneer
2 tsp Corn Flour
1 tsp fennel seed powder
Pepper and Salt
28 oz Tomato Can
1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1 tsp Kasturi Methi
2 tbsp Heavy cream
2 tbsp Butter
1. Paneer stuffing. Grate paneer and add corn flour, pepper, salt, fennel & coriander, cumin powder. Mash completely & make small balls from stuffing.
2. Next blanch spinach by adding to boiling water for 2 mins and then placing in cold water.
3. Squeeze water completely of spinach and chop it finely. Cook till all moisture is gone. Add a pinch of salt and corn flour and mash well.
4. Grease hand with oil, take a small pinch of spinach, place the paneer ball on top & add more spinach to make a round kofta balls.
5. Bake in oven at 350° F for 25 minutes. are ready.
6. While koftas are baking, prepare gravy. In a pan, add butter and ginger garlic paste and cook for 1-2 mins. Add tomatoes next.
7. Cook tomatoes till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away. Cool & blend into a puree.
8. Heat the butter and add gravy spices, salt and tomato blend and let it simmer for 5 min
9. Add crushed kasturi methi and mix well. Then add heavy cream & stir, while adding. Let it simmer, till the gravy thickens.
10. Add kofta balls next to the gravy. The Shaam Savera is ready, enjoy♨️