SEARED SEABASS WITH LEMON AND TOMATO SAUCE✨✨ This recipe is from FALASTIN: Cookbook by Sami Tamimi and Tara Wigley!
This combination of fish and tomato sauce and flavors from cardamom and cumin is very balanced and aromatic.
I put together this whole dish in about 45 minutes and it was really delicious. It’s one of the very best fish sauce recipe I’ve ever made, everyone in the family really enjoyed!
Sami’s recipe is available online.
8 Sea-bass fillets
Marinate with Salt, Pepper and 3 tsp mix of the spices mix called “Baharat Samak”
[Ground: 2 tsp green cardamom, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp red chilli]
1 cup onion sliced
5-6 garlic cloves ground
1 inch ginger minced
1-2 green chilli
1 tsp tomato paste
14 oz can plum tomato, blitzed in food processor
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 lemon slices
1 tomato slices or cherry tomatoes
1. Marinate fish with skin with Baharat Samak mix and set aside for 15-20 mins.
2. Add oil to a flat wok and start shallow frying each fish piece. Set aside. Also cook a few tomato slices and lemon slices till their skin is slightly charred. Set these aside too.
3. Wipe the pan clean, add two tbsp oil and cook sliced onions until golden, add ginger and garlic and lightly fry them.
4. Next add tomato paste, remaining 2 tsp spice mix, salt, pepper and blitzed tomato can sauce. Cook covered for 10-15 minutes at low flame.
5. Add chicken stock and cilantro and cook for another 5 mins.
6. Place fish pieces, lemon and tomato and garnish with cilantro or thyme. Serve hot with some rice or bread.