PERSIMMON APPLE PIE 🍑🍏 Persimmon is in season and for this holiday I used my go to recipe where I substituted 5 out of 7 apples with ripe persimmons and this was a lovely twist. My kids prefer raw over but any fruit gets gobbled up when it’s inside the flaky warm pie.
▶️This is not a very sweet pie, sweetness depends on how ripe the fruit is; add more sugar if you like your pies sweeter. Persimmon is slightly tart so it retains its shape when cooked.
INGREDIENTS ( One 10 inch pie)
FOR THE CRUST
*3 cup all-purpose flour
*1 cup butter, cut into 1/2″ pieces
*2 tbsp granulated sugar
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
*~8 tbsp ice water
FOR THE FILLING
*1/2 cup brown sugar
*3 tbsp all-purpose flour
*1 tsp ground cinnamon
*1/4 tsp ground ginger
*1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
*6 to 7 Fuyu Persimmons and 2 apples, peeled, thinly sliced
*1 tbsp lemon juice
*1 tbsp butter
*1 large egg
1. In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add cold butter pieces.
2. With the machine running, add vinegar, ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, until dough starts to come together and is moist but mixture will be crumbly.
3. Split into 2 equal size balls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
1. In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
3. Line a 10 in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim even with edge.
4. Fill with persimmon apple mixture.
5. Roll remaining crust to fit top of pie; cut into strips and place over filling in an alternating pattern. Trim and seal edges.
6. Optional: Beat egg until foamy; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake at 375° F for 55-60 minutes. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.