KADAI CHICKEN♨️ ↔️ Wok Chicken. It’s not the most creative name but this dish is just next to butter chicken in popularity on most Indian restaurant menus.
This recipe is my healthier and tastier version of the kadai chicken using inspiration from various cookbooks and taking mental notes and peeking at the dhabawalas open kitchens.💁🏻♀️😊 And it tastes absolutely divine when served hot♨️
1 lb chicken (cut into 1-2 inch pieces)
¾ cup bell peppers cubed
½ cup onions cubed
½ cup onions chopped finely
¾ cup tomatoes (chopped & pureed)
2-4 tbsp mustard oil
1 green chili
½ tsp cumin
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
Salt as needed
¼ red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric
1-2 tbsp cream
1 tsp kasturi methi
2 tbsp cilantro chopped
1 ½ tbsp whole coriander seeds
4 dry red chilies
¾ teaspoon fennel seeds
➡️Dry roast all ingredients, cool and blend into a powder, add 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
➡️Freshly roasted and ground masala adds a unique, wonderful aroma to this curry
1. Marinate chicken with salt, chilli powder, minced ginger garlic and keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
2. Add 1 tbsp oil to wok. Add cubed bell pepper and onions. Fry for only 2 min on the high flame, they need not cook completely at this stage. Keep it aside.
3. Add 1 tbsp oil again, then add chili and cumin.
4. Add finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden.
5. Next add marinated chicken cubes and fry for 8 to 10 min until chicken looks 80% cooked.
6. Add tomato puree, kadai masala and salt. Mix and cook for 5 min or till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away. Add 1 cup water and let the chicken cook another 5 min on low flame.
7. Add sauted onions and bell pepper. Mix and cook for 1 more min.
8. Finally add cream, sprinkle crushed kasuri methi and coriander leaves.