- Author: Verna
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 24 Bars 1x
An Easy, Healthy Breakfast Bars Recipe! Made with rolled oats, dates, peanut butter, and apple sauce, and baked to perfection. Simple ingredients that are protein packed, vegan and gluten free!
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, I use natural no salt added
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 and 1/2 cups quick oats, gluten free if needed
- 1/2 cup almonds, raw or toasted and chopped ( I measure and then chop the almonds)
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, dried
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted ( I buy mine toasted)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw or roasted and salted ( I buy mine roasted and salted)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted peanut butter)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
HOW TO MAKE HEATHY BREAKFAST BARS:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 11×7 pan with parchment paper and set aside (I use my non stick brownie pan).
- Add the dates to a small bowl and cover with boiling water from your kettle. Let sit for 5 minutes and drain well. (This softens the dates)
- While the dates are soaking add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and give them a mix. Set aside
- Now add the dates, apple sauce and peanut butter and vanilla to your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well
- Pour the breakfast bar batter into your parchment lined pan. Evenly distribute the batter and press down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean ( I usually bake for 25 minutes?)
- Cool in pan on wire cooling rack for 15 minutes and them remove from pan (with parchment attached) and cool completely on wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy! Makes 24 Breakfast bars
- To make these Oatmeal bars nut free, omit the almonds and use sun butter in place of peanut butter
- for Canadians, ‘Presidents Choice Brand’ semi sweet chocolate chips are vegan (always check label though?)
ADD IN’S AND SUBSTITUTIONS FOR BREAKFAST BARS:
- Add 1/4 cup dried fruit, like dried cranberries or cherries (dried cherries are so good!)
- Add 1/4 cup chopped banana chips
- Sub walnuts, pecans or cashews for almonds
- Sub mashed banana for apple sauce
- Sub hemp seeds or chia seeds for sesame seeds
- Sub Almond butter or sun butter for peanut butter
HOW LONG WILL BREAKFAST BARS KEEP?
They will keep covered on the counter for 3-4 days and refrigerated for up to a week.
CAN YOU FREEZE OATMEAL BREAKFAST BARS?
Absolutely! I wrap the bars individually and either put in a freezer bag or a Tupperware container. They will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. Easy grab and go from freezer to lunch box in the morning.
Serves 24Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 194