CHOCOLATE LOG🪵🎄Happy Holidays! Trying my hand at the traditional holiday dessert. . When you think about it, it really is such a magical dessert- you bake a cake, fill it with a sweet filling, roll it up, frost it, and make it look like a gorgeous woodland log straight out of a fairy tale. 🍫🍫🍫.
It’s as delicious as it is beautiful and a great centerpiece on your table.✨✨
This is my entry to the festive baking theme _cookitupclub . I have been following the club and drooling at the awesome baked goods, so diving in with my first post to the group.
6 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
150g castor sugar (measure it ~5oz)
50g cocoa powder (measure it ~2oz)
Your choice, any frosting is okay
▶️Chocolate fudge on top:
Melted chocolate chips
And a sprinkle of icing sugar
1. Make the sponge: Put the egg yolks in a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes until they start to thicken.
2. Beat sugar and egg yolks for 5 minutes or so. Sift in the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly.
3. In another bowl, beat egg whites until they start to form soft peaks~ 8-10 minutes.
4. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
5. Line a baking tray (13″ x 9″) with baking paper. Pour in sponge mix and even it out with a spatula. Bake in the oven at 350°F for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the tray from the oven. The sponge should be slightly springy to the touch. Cover the cake with a damp teatowel and allow it to go cold.
7. Layer a thin layer of the frosting.
8. Then slowly start folding from one end using the baking paper and make a roll, refrigerate it for an hour so it keeps shape.
9. Layer the melted chocolate on top, before it starts to cool using a fork give a tree bark wiggly lines.
10. Drizzle with icing sugar and finely grated chocolate chips. Voila!