BISI BELE BATH✨ My love for BBB will never reduce, it reminds me of umpteen times Priya’s mom would make this heady concoction of rice and sambhar perfectly balanced with masala and vegetables and how Rajgopalan uncle would pour ghee on my plate and I would hungrily devour it- good home food was a luxury during hostel years and I’ll always be incredibly grateful to Priya’s parents who made my life in Pondicherry easier and more memorable❤️
My dear friend richad2019 asked me to add a recipe of BBB on my blog and it brought back sweet memories of Priya’s warm home.
I love creating dishes with fresh spices and in BBB, freshly ground spices really add a nice flavor.
Recipe adapted from subbuskitchen viniscookbook
▶️FRESH BBB MASALA
1/4 cup coconut
2 tbsp Urad + Chana dal
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
5 Dry Red Chillies
1 tbsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp aijwain
1 inch Cinnamon
1/2 tsp hing
1. Dry roast chana, urad dal first and other ingredients and roast for 2-3 min.
2. Cool, grind to make BBB powder.
1 cup Rice
½ cup Toor Dal
1 inch Tamarind, soaked 10 mins, juiced
¼ tsp Turmeric
2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Ghee
1 Cup Shallots
1 1/2 cup cut mixed vegetable -Drumstick, Beans, Carrot, Potato, Peas, bell pepper
¼ pinch Hing
1 tbsp Cilantro
▶️TEMPERING Ghee, Mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Cumin, Peanuts
1. Cook rice and dal (+turmeric) and when cooked mash them together.
2. In a wok, add ghee, fry shallots and other vegetables, stir fry for 2-3 mins.
3. Next add salt, 2 cups water and cook veggies until boiled- 10 mins.
4. Add tamarind water, boil 2-3 min and then add all prepared masala. Let masala mix in the vegetable, cook for few mins and then switch off flame.
5. Add mixed dal rice to the wok, one ladle at a time and keep BBB like a semi-solid.
6. Prepare tempering in ghee, add to BBB, add cilantro, mix and serve hot♨️